Required Documents for a Complete Application
All applicants must submit:
- A completed online application
- A personal statement of no more than 600 words
- Two letters of recommendation:
- Contact two academic references. (Instructions on how to submit online letters of recommendation are provided in the student portal website.)
Past STEP-UP participants must have at least one letter from their most recent STEP-UP Research Mentor
The letters of recommendation must be uploaded by the academic reference to the Student Portal by the application deadline. Hard (paper) copies will not be accepted.
An official academic transcript which reflects all earned credits and grades through December 2014
Transcripts must be postmarked by February 1st, and mailed to:
STEP-UP [High School or Undergraduate]
II Democracy Plaza/RM 902A
6707 Democracy Blvd.
Bethesda, MD 20892
Please specify in the address whether you are applying for the High School or Undergraduate STEP-UP Program.
Applicants to the undergraduate program must submit a resume
If accepted, you will need to provide your coordinating center with:
- Proof of health insurance.
- A copy of your U.S. passport, U.S. birth certificate, or government issued photo identification document